Quotes

The chance for mistakes is about equal to the number of crew squared. - Ted Turner
 

Celebrating Ireland's Floating Heritage

Celebrating Ireland's Floating Heritage

Home arrow Vessels arrow Grand Canal Boats arrow 40M - Sequoia - GCC Canal Boat - Dublin 1927
40M - Sequoia - GCC Canal Boat - Dublin 1927 PDF Print E-mail
18 September 2008

 

 

40M arriving at LeCarrow Jul 2009

 

Built in 1927, in the Liffey Dockyard, by Vickers and weighed on 24th February 1928 in Killaloe. She traded along the navigations carrying various goods for the Grand Canal Company but was also hired out as a Bye-Trader to a Patsy Gorman for a couple of years in the early 1940's. She transfered to CIE with the nationalisation of the State's transport companies in 1950.

40M was sold at auction to Myles Digby around 1960, complete with Bolinder engine and later sold to Donnacha Kennedy in 1965-66. He replaced the original Bolinder engine with a three cyclinder Ailsa Craig engine. Donnacha converted her and a number of boats for hire on the Shannon. These were called Weaver Boats. Her accomodation consisted of 10 passenger berths with the skipper's berth in the engine room and the cook's in a corridor.

In 1976 Sean and Maeve Matthews bought "Sequoia", so named by Donnacha after a Californian Redwood tree. In 1981 Jack and Aideen Roberts bought her from the Matthews. The day they purchased the boat coincided with the wedding of Joan O'Riordan and Joe McCool of the Snark (42B). Jack replaced the Ailsa Craig engine the following year with a Ford/Thornycroft. In 1984 a wheelhouse and heating system were added while moored in Edenderry. The bilges were re-plated in the early 1990's. While with Jack and Aideen, "Sequoia" was classed as the "luxury barge" on the Shannon, being an inspiration to all who were in the process of converting their own boats.

Aideen sold the boat to Jim Dillon around 1997. 40M was then moved from her old base at Terryglass to Shannon Harbour where she was based for some time. She was sold again in 2000 and in 2009. 

Crew included -

Bill Melia was her first skipper in 1928. Sam and Jim Cox from Banagher along with Dinny Weir crewed her for a while after that. Jack and Cristy Holt with a nephew of theirs was another crew. In the latter 40's Jimmy Leason was in charge of her, Christy Blight was driving and Johnny McGrath was deck hand. The Canal was closed for almost a year 1953/54 which resulted in some crews being let go. After the canal re-opened in 1954 Matt, Abie and Andy Maloney took her out. Matt and Abie left and went to England in 1955. After that Andy went in charge with Tick Donelan and Peter "Gib" Kenny. Kenny left and Paddy Nolan came in his place. Tucker Ennis was also in her for a while. She was left in for repairs around 1956, after which Addy Danger and John Joe McDermott took her out. She was laid up in 1958 due to engine problems.

Last Updated ( 29 September 2010 )
 
< Prev   Next >
 
Joomla Templates by Joomlashack