Quotes

Fortune brings in some boats that are not steered. - Quote attributed to William Shakespeare; Cymbeline
 

Celebrating Ireland's Floating Heritage

Celebrating Ireland's Floating Heritage

Home arrow Vessels arrow Grand Canal Boats arrow 34M - Whistler - GCC Canal Boat - Dublin 1926
34M - Whistler - GCC Canal Boat - Dublin 1926 PDF Print E-mail
13 October 2008
Technical Details

34M in Shannon Harbour May 2006
34M in Shannon Harbour May 2006

Reg Number:
34M
Built By:
Ringsend Dockyard Company
Year:
1926
Construction:
Riveted Steel
Length:
61' 6"
Beam:
13' 2"
Payload:
62 tons
Draft - Loaded:
4' 6"
Weighed:
Killaloe 1927
Engine: Bolinder E Type 15HP

 

34M was built by the Ringsend Dockyard Company in 1927 and weighed in Killaloe on the 22nd of February 1928.

In the 1930's and the early 40's Paddy Pender (Prendergast) from Graiguenamagh was Skipper with his son Jack and his son-in-law John Hoar as the crew. Other crew at times were Jimmy "Mona" Bolger, Mick "Darkie" Bolger and Jimmy Grace worked on her as a Greaser. Around Easter 1947 Pat Hoar joined as Deckman, the crew then was John Hoar (his father) as Skipper, Jack Pender (his uncle) Engineman, by that time there were no greasers. When Jack Pender left sick Robert "Bobsie" Mahon joined as engineman. Bosie later took out another boat and Jim "Scutch" Curran went engineman on 34M. In February 1949 Scutch left and Sean Hoar (brother of Pat) joined as Deckman while Pat went engineman. Things were slowing down on the canal in Easter 1957 so Pat left to join the bus company in Dublin and Eamon Hoar, another brother, joined as engine-man while Sean stayed as deckman. This was the last crew until the boat was left in when the canal closed down at Christmas 1959.

Some of the cargos that were mentioned were bulk wheat, sugar and sugar beet, sundries, Butts, or large barrels, of Guinness were also a regular cargo for Corcoran's in Carlow for their bottling plant. One of the many unusual cargos mentioned was a load of cane sugar (brown sugar) loaded at Ringsend and taken to Carlow sugar factory to be refined.

34M was later sold off at auction by CIE. She was used by Martin Winston as a ferry craft to Illaunmore on Lough Derg for a number of years, Martin Winston sold her to David Coote around 1975. In 1976 David swapped 34M with Donnacha Kennedy for 45M. Donnacha had previously converted a number of boats known as "Weaver Boats" (40M, 42M & 47M) and converted 34M to similar specifications with felt roofs, and ship lapped superstructures.

It is believed that she was used for a short while as a hire boat before being sold to Louis Smith. Louis used her on the Shannon as a pleasure boat for a while before selling her to Michael Hodgins who after a few years sold her around 1999 to her present owner. 34M currently lies in Shannon Harbour.

Last Updated ( 04 April 2009 )
 
< Prev   Next >
 
Joomla Templates by Joomlashack